Are you looking for new experiences and challenges? Do you want to meet new people and make new friends? Are you keen to help make events successful and contribute to the Monash graduate student community and beyond? Get involved with our Volunteer Program today!
About the MGA Volunteer Program
Our volunteers are integral to the orientation program, social events and sport groups run by the MGA. As well as keeping the MGA operational, our volunteers are exposed to new experiences and develop skills that will help them in their future careers, including communication, leadership, teamwork and time management.
Volunteering is a great way to meet like-minded people, gain an insight into the work we do and give back to the graduate student community. There are also opportunities to connect to the broader Melbourne community through our Outreach Program.
There are many opportunities to volunteer with the MGA and all current Monash graduate students from all campuses and off-campus locations are eligible to volunteer with us. There are also online volunteering opportunities, so if you are located overseas, we still want to hear from you!
Enrolments for the program will close after Week 3 of each semester, so make sure you register early to avoid disappointment.
What to expect in 2023
We at the MGA recognise how hard our volunteers work. We want to show our appreciation by introducing a new program where volunteers can gain more professional development. The more time a volunteer commits, the more benefits the volunteers can gain. Here is what volunteers can expect when they hit their milestones hours:
- 1st Event: Volunteer Shirt
- 10 Hours: Exclusive Volunteer Merch
- 15 hours: Food Handling Safety Course or Responsible Service of Alcohol Training
- 20 hours: Certificate of Appreciation & Volunteer Hoodie
- 25 hours+: First Aid Training or Mental Health First Aid Training
We will also hold social events exclusive to the MGA volunteer community throughout the year, as a way for program participants to connect and celebrate with each other.
Log your volunteer hours
After each volunteering role you take part in, we ask that you record your volunteering hours within 24 hours. This is so that the program leader can verify the hours.
Stay tuned at the start of 2023 for the link.
I have registered my interest. What happens next?
- Once you have registered to volunteer with us, you can expect to receive email notifications approximately monthly. You will be asked to select the upcoming volunteering opportunities that you are interested in taking part in.
- Next, you will be contacted by email to confirm the events/activities that you have been assigned to. This will include further details regarding tasks and requirements for your volunteer role.
- When you attend your volunteer role, you will be inducted and briefed by an MGA staff member on your tasks for the session.
- When you have completed your volunteer sessions, we ask that you log your hours.
Please note that if the program is at full capacity then you will be notified and added to the reserve list to commence in the following semester.
For any queries regarding the MGA Volunteer Program, please contact:
Volunteer Program Coordinator
The MGA is fortunate to have a team of phenomenal volunteers that work hard and dedicate a lot of their time throughout the year. Read about our amazing volunteers doing their different roles and receiving awards at our Volunteer Awards Nights!
MGA Volunteer Agreement
As a new volunteer with the MGA, you are joining a highly valued and respected team of students. As a part of your commitment, there are certain rights and responsibilities you need to be aware of and abide by.
You can read the MGA Volunteer Agreement here.
If you have any queries about the agreement, please contact the MGA Volunteer Program Coordinator.
Community Outreach Program
If you would like to connect with the broader Melbourne community and use your skills in new and rewarding ways, then our Community Outreach Program might be for you! We provide opportunities to volunteer with external organisations such as St Kilda Mums, Notting Hill Neighbourhood House, Friends of the Children Foundation and more.
Please register to be a volunteer in 2023 HERE to be the first to hear about all the new exciting opportunities coming up under this program.